The first-generation Boxster (the 986) was introduced in late 1996; it was powered by a 2.5 litre flat six-cylinder engine. The design was heavily influenced by the 1993 Boxster Concept. In 2000, the new Boxster S variant was introduced with a larger 3.2 litre motor, and the base model received a more powerful 2.7 litre engine. In 2003, styling and engine output was upgraded on both variants.
In 2005, Porsche unveiled the second generation of Boxster: the type 987. The 987 is more powerful than its predecessor and featured styling inspired by the Carrera GT. Engine output increased in 2007, when both Boxster models received the engines from their corresponding Porsche Cayman variants. In 2009, the Boxster models received several new cosmetic and mechanical upgrades, further increasing engine output and performance. The third generation Boxster (type 981) was launched at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show.
Production of the 986 began at the former Porsche 928 facility in Stuttgart, Germany in 1996. Valmet Automotive also manufactured Boxsters under contract to Porsche at a facility in Uusikaupunki, Finland. The Boxster was Porsche’s biggest volume seller from its introduction in 1996 until the company introduced the Cayenne sport utility vehicle in 2003. As of September 2012, additional production of the 981 started at the former Karmann-factory in Osnabrück.
The Boxster’s name is derived from the word “boxer”, referring to the vehicle’s horizontally opposed or “boxer” engine, and the word “roadster”, referring to the vehicle’s two-seat capacity and convertible top.
- P4-2020-03 – Our Porsche Travel Experience
- P4-2018-07 – Street Survival School – Bettering the Odds
- P4-2018-07 – Driving in a Dream to M1 Concourse
- P4-2018-06 – RECAP OF THE PORSCHE EFFECT EXHIBIT AT THE PETERSEN AUTOMOTIVE MUSEUM
- P4-2018-06 – HPDE#1 Recap
- P4-2021-01 – Fastest Shark on Earth
- For Sale: 17″ Turbo Twist Cup 3 wheels with tires. $900
- Drive Your Porsche Day 2020
- SEM PCA 2020: Cars & Coffee February 15th
- SEM PCA 2020: Cars & Coffee February 15th (video)
- P4-2020-01-02 – President’s Column
- SEM PCA 2019: Holiday Party Gallery
- Whitelist Email Addresses In Gmail – for email forwarding
- SEM PCA 2019: Membership Dinner